This was a fun break from the big pieces I've been working on. I really needed to take a step back from the Friesian maquette and try to see where it wasn't working, so I worked on this little jumper relief on the tiny bit of space beside "Tolt" on my crank up sculpting table. Nanning (the Friesian) is on the worktable across the room with his big reference photo right behind him. A couple of days of work on the jumper gave me fresh eyes for Nanning, so that was really good! And I got this pretty relief finished just today. The customer and I are both happy with it, YAY!
The first picture shows it at an early stage. I worked from the rear end of the horse to the front once I had all the basic shapes in place.
Below, you see me trying a different jump than the one in the photo (which was a simple jump with standards, although a pretty one). The original jump was awkward to make into a relief. One standard needed to go across the rider's boot and the other looked as if it were stabbing the horse in the throat. So I decided "no standards!" I tried a coop jump first, but wasn't that happy with it. That's below.
Then I did a rolltop jump and that's the right one for this piece. Now all I have to do ("all" - LOL!) is make the mold box, pour a mold, clean up the mold, cast resin in it, clean up the resin, paint and finish the resin, mount the resin and the brass plates to the walnut plaque (my basemaker will actually do that - I'm not that good with power tools!) and voila! It's a trophy!
I hope you like my little jumper relief! It will be available as a trophy on my Trophy Gallery page once I get it finished.