Saturday, September 15, 2007

"December Boys" now in theaters!


Totally off-topic here, but I'll get back to art and/or writing soon: Those of you who know me know I'm a HUGE "Harry Potter" fan and a huge Dan Radcliffe fan as well! Dan's first non-Harry Potter film opened in LA and NYC on September 14.
"December Boys" is an independent Australian film shot on Kangaroo Island, Australia, an absolutely beautiful location. The film was shot between "Goblet of Fire" and "Order of the Phoenix" but was delayed in release due to the problems of getting distribution set up that indie films face.
It's a coming of age film about four orphans who are given the gift of a month at the beach for their birthdays (all in December, hence the "December Boys" title). Dan plays "Maps" who's the oldest and kind of a big brother to the others. The boys' close relationships are challenged when they learn that a couple wants to adopt one of them, resulting in the boys (all but Maps) competing to be the one adopted.

Maps experiences his first kiss, first love affair (with the pretty blond in the poster), moons somebody (and Dan says "that's the geniune Radcliffe a**" not a double, LOL!) and heartache in the film. It looks like a sweet, entertaining film.

The problem is - being an indie film, it's opening in "selected cities" which means I'm going to have to drive 100 miles to Cincinnati to see it!!!! But I will! So all you guys who are in those "selected cities" need to go see "December Boys" so it will open wider (in more cities) so I don't have to drive so far to see it! :D

To get back to art: Dan came into his fortune at the age of 17, although nobody believed it because he didn't go out and buy anything expensive that anyone noticed. In interviews for "December Boys," he revealed that he did buy something when he got his money - a painting by Jim Hodges. I'd never heard of Hodges until then, but I've researched him online, and I'm glad I found out about him. His work is gorgeous! Do a search on him and check it out. (Here's a place to start: http://www.crggallery.com/artists/jim-hodges/ - follow the links to see more of his work and read about his career.) He's a sculptor as well as a painter, and his work (that I've seen so far, anyway) is light and airy, delicate and elegant - poetic, really. Since Dan's a poet, I'm not surprised he likes Hodges's work. I'm glad Dan (indirectly) introduced me to it!
Click on the link above to get to the "December Boys" website and find out when and where it's opening. Happy movie-going!

2 comments:

  1. I too am looking forward to seeing this film. Hoping it opens near me as well. Thanks for the writing tips! Especially the glitch tip! Best of luck to you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can see the list of cities where it will be released on www.DecemberBoys.com. I'm hoping it will be released wider after these opening dates. I just learned yesterday that it's only in some cities for a week, so when you check for it being near you, find out how long it will be there so you won't miss it!

    I'm glad you enjoyed my writing tips and glitch tip! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete