Friday, July 07, 2006

Progress of various sorts

I've started working out the plot for the second "Star Sons" book, and have written another Harry Potter story ("Beginnings") to fit into the epilogue of "The Time of Destiny" - but this "ficlet" has turned into a HUGE story, which will be probably fifty pages! My HP readers who know about it (the Yahoo group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HPRefinersFire ) are dancing with joy, which is always a cool thing. The bloodthirsty one is asking if there's blood in it (not yet) and the ones who love "Baboonery(c)" (love scenes) are going to be happy (I hope!) because there IS a bit of Baboonery(c) in it! I thought it was finished twice yesterday, then realized I had left out a couple of scenes. Now I have one scene left to write, then I have to let it rest a while and look at it with fresh eyes, edit and polish it, then off to the betas! (Of course, they're busy with my novel right now and I don't want to distract them from that task - but hopefully, a HP story will be a nice rest for their eyes too!)

It's great fun to get back to the comfortable world of my HP stories, but it's also hard for me. I was immersed in the Star Sons world now, not Harry's world, so it took me a while to get back in HP mode. I also had to go back through my HP novels to refresh my memory on certain details, which takes time. But doing the HP story was a nice change -- almost like a vacation! -- after finishing "Star Sons."

I have a couple of original short stories floating around in the back of my head, just barely beginning to take shape. I'm not much of a short story writer, but it would be nice to have some out there in magazines to help build up my name as a writer. Hopefully when I get them finished, they'll be good enough that some magazine (that PAYS!) will want them! Yes, I'm an optimist! :-)

Abraxan

No comments:

Post a Comment